What Should You Get From Your Logo Designer

More often than not when asking a client for their current logo, I am provided with a file format that is less than desirable for the project or situation.

Although this can be argued both ways, I’ve seen both instances where it was logo designers responsibility to provide the proper deliverables or the client was using an improper method of creating their logo.

Below is a list of deliverables you should be giving your clients and what clients should be getting from their logo designer.

What should you get: File formats

Delivering a variety of file formats to your clients will not only leave them satisfied in the long term, but any designer who follows you will also be greatful.

Whether you are printing high quality, adding a logo to a website, or inserting your company logo into a Word document, there are various file formats that should be used over the other.

eps

An EPS file, or Encapsulated PostScript file, is a versatile vector format of your logo. In other words, you can resize your logo as big or small as needed without compromising the quality of the logo.

EPS is compatible in a large number of programs and is great for use with printed elements due to its high quality.

What’s it suitable for?

• Business cards
  • Brochures
  • Advertisements
  • …anything that will be printed of high quality

jpg and gif

Although it cannot be scaled to a desired size like that of an EPS, JPGs and GIFs are great and preferred for internet use. Due to their smaller file size, they load faster on the web and still look ‘sharp’ to the eye when viewed on a computer monitor. I tend to create these files a little larger than most so my clients are able to downsize as needed.

What’s it suitable for?

• Websites
  • Online Ads and Banners
  • Email marketing and signatures
  • anything ‘web-related’

tiff

A TIFF, or Tagged Image File Format, is a widely supported file format that works in just about any program. A TIFF is of higher quality than JPG or GIF, but not vector-formatted like an EPS.

Typically when sending TIFFs to clients I try to create them at a larger size, so if needed they can resize down or stay with the larger size for more versatility.

In certain cases, these can also be used for higher quality prints, granted they were created at 300 dpi and don’t need to resized larger than delivered.

What’s it suitable for?

• Microsoft Office programs
  • Standard printing for common use (ie. invoices, letterheads, etc.)

Full Color

This should need no explanation, but provide your clients with a full colored, CMYK file for the printed file formats (EPS, TIFF) and RGB for the web formats (JPG, GIF). This way they don’t experience strange color issues when printing and will save them money with their printers.

Black and Reversed Logos

A well designed logo should not only work in color but also in black and white (reversed-out) versions.

Make certain to convert your in-color logos to both black and reversed-out so your clients logo can work in ANY situation. Trust me they will love you for this one! For the most part I will create a color, black and white version in each of the first 4 file formats.

Favicon / iPhone / iPad icons

Many designers I’ve questioned do not do this, but I’ve always felt like it added a nice touch to my logo services — something that makes me different from the next guy.

A favicon, or “little logo” that appears in the corner of the address bar in a web browser, is a great way to compliment their logo on the web. It only takes a few minutes to create (in most instances) and your clients will be thrilled when they see their miniature logo on their webpage. Also, with the rise of mobile browsing have a iPhone and iPad optimized icon is a nice touch as well.

1. Trish says:

with the price of a logo the client gets a formats cd with popular formats in several sizes (only one size for vector formats). I don’t usually output gifs anymore, I provide pngs instead. They also get a logo guide with printing and copyright information. Lastly I offer logo tweaking for free for the first six months after final payment. Best intentions aside, you don’t know for sure how a logo is going to work until you use it. I offer them a free tweak if a color doesn’t work out right, they need to add a slogan, etc. No free redesigns. That is a whole different fruit.

2. [...] will give you the ability to provide various file formats and scalable logos. Typically I like to provide clients with various types of file formats, this way they have different files to implement into various programs they [...]

3. GREAT article! I will definitely think of your post next time I create some images. What do you think of PNG files? Where do they fit in? I tend to use them a lot (for almost everything).

Chris,
    PNG is another great file to include, and have recently been including it among my design services. Thanks for the addition.

5. [...] What Should You Get From Your Logo Designer [...]

6. Russell says:

Great article and comments! I think there is a boundary between providing just the logo and providing a brand solution with guidelines, typefaces, images, document templates and mockups of various kinds. I think its a scale that you place yourself somewhere along depending on how much you charge and what kind of clients you are dealing with.

I also think it pays to make your package specific to that client and add value. Setting them up things like well-laid out word templates for documents they use regularly (minutes, fax, letters etc) makes them feel more looked after. A client like a restaurant might have a specific need of a menu. I often go into restaurants that print their own menu (lots of good restaurants do this, perhaps because it changes so frequently depending on the ingredients that are at their best and in season) and you can tell they aren’t the most sophisticated users of Microsoft Word.

Ask what they want and give it to them… in a variety of formats of course!

7. Favicons are worth their weight in gold… Sortof like magic holy water to sprinkle on. :-) People are always impressed.

8. Daniel Clark says:

hey guys I know this is really late but there was a question about a favicon generator and I found one here
    although I think its easier to just make one in photoshop/illustrator by making a 16 x 16 image in the .ico format
    (plugin needed – http://www.webdesign.org/img_articles/10135/icoformat.zip)
    again, sorry for the lateness and great post Brian!

9. Mary says:

Brian esta muy interesante tu sitio he leido varios de tus artículos y me parecen de mucha calidad . Gracias por compartir tus conocimientos. Me cayo de maravilla la información de los procesos que se deben llevar a cabo a la hora de enfrentar un nuevo proyecto.
    Gracias por compartir tus conocimientos
    Saludos Mary

10. [...] What Should You Get From Your Logo Designer [...]

11. Ron Arts says:

Nice tips for customers who use the logo design service for the first time.

12. Chris says:

I’m looking for a designer for my company logo. your article has cleared a few thing up for me.

13. dresses says:

Nice tips for customers who use the logo design service for the first time.

14. [...] building trust and closer relationships with your clients. For example, sharing posts that discuss what your clients will be receiving from your logo design services or allowing them to read through what others are saying in your comments helps bridge the gap [...]

15. Joni Solis says:

I really don’t save in the GIF format any longer — I save as PNG. PNG files are great for self printing full color logo designs and for website and email display use too.

16. Vanessa says:

wow thanks for sharing this great article! Im just starting out in graphic design and you answered all my questions.

17. flamedidea says: