Websites to increase your design blogs traffic

As the old saying goes, “If you build it they will come”, but a majority of the time ‘they’ (your website visitors) need to know you ‘built it’ (your design blog and its articles).

While there are hundreds or more websites around the web that allow you to submit, below are the ones that have produced high traffic and successful exposure for my articles and blog in the past year.

Please note that many of these sites are reader voted or moderated, so I suggest only submitting your best and highest quality articles for approval or acceptance.

Twitter

Twitter, the most obvious on this list, but honestly the most effective. Tweeting your new blog posts allowing your followers to become exposed to your new content and get passed along to your follower’s followers and so on. A quality article has the opportunity to be seen by millions within a matter of minutes.

Smashing Magazine [submissions via Noupe]

If you are not familiar with Smashing Magazine… well let’s just say, you should be. The name says it all. (*83,001 Smashing Magazine visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

Design Float

Design Float is like Digg for design-only articles. Users vote on your article and once they surpase 4 votes appear on the front page’s Popular Entries. (22,517 Design Float visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

PSD Tuts

Psd Tuts, an amazing website for Photoshop tutorials, offers a community link feed of high quality content from around the web. (15,233 PSD Tut visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

Facebook

Using @TDCBrand as my Twitter account for only new Design Cubicle posts and news (I use @behoff for everything else), I also link those tweets to Facebook. (12,463 Facebook visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

All of my new posts show up in Facebook’s status updates so my friends and followers can stay up-to-date.

Design Bump

Another great site similar to Design Float. Design Bump as brought TDC continuous quality traffic over the past year. (8,132 Design Bump visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

Design Newz

Being that Design Newz is one of the newer sites on this list (**under 1 year old) its hard to get an exact reading in the past year, but I must say it has gained momentum and popularity quite fast. All posts are hand-picked to ensure the highest quality possible. (**6,211 Design Newz visitors tracked by Google Analytics)

Noupe

Recently acquired by Smashing Magazine, Noupe is gaining even more heavy traffic and popularity. (5,384 Noupe visitors tracked by Google Analytics).

Other websites producing consistent traffic for TDC last year:

Sites where others submit your articles:

The above websites are sites that I personally submit my quality articles, but there are sites out there where readers can submit for you. Below are three that have been extremely good to me in the past year.

• Digg – in the past year I’ve only had 3 articles Dugg, but have accumulated 58,164 visitors because of it.
  • StumbleUpon – 199,199 visitors in the past 12 months.
  • Delicious – 25,362 visitors in the past 12 months.

Personally, I like to have the above three, in addition to Twitter, on the bottom of every post to make it easy for my readers to submit articles that they enjoy and want to share.

*Visitor numbers for Smashing Magazine visitors will be higher because of recent addition to The Smashing Network
**Visitor numbers for Design Newz do not accurately reflect the course of an entire year

1. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by allwebdesign: Websites to Submit Your Design Articles That Produce Heavy Traffic http://bit.ly/8Bcpc5...

2. Thanks for all the info Brian, exactly what I’ve been looking for! Time for some submitting.

3. Nice list Brian, bookmarked for future use.

4. Lam Nguyen says:

Nice list :) Design Float is a good one!

5. great article you have put together, yet another ive stumbled, bookmarked and RT.

6. Nice list Brian. I actually use all of these already. :)

7. Mark says:

I think Facebook and Twitter are two of the most famous sites where a designer can market his/her masterpiece. Social networking sites are actually great tool for advertisement. I’m not familiar with the other sites except for Noupe, I heard about it already.

8. DesignBeep says:

thanks again for the list..

I also created a huge list which include some growing blogs and i think a few months later they also help us to get more traffic.

Thanks again brian

Here is my list

9. Richie says:

Nice list, Brian … I don’t even remember how many sites I submit my design articles to … lol … Need to narrow it down to these..

10. [...] Websites to Submit Your Design Articles That Produce Heavy Traffic [...]

11. Sara R says:

Thanks Brian! I’m just getting started on my blog, but it’s nice to know where to promote and where to gain good exposure the right way!

12. I just found Design Newz in the couple months. My blog is also only about 4 months old. That said I have just about 1000 hits from Design Newz according to Google Analytics (see fonts and typography tags). I love the format of the site – super easy to scan. It’s also clear that the moderation keep the quality way up. I know that if something is up there, it’s probably worth checking out. I hope they do really well in 2010. They are becoming my number one blog to check (and submit new articles too). With so much info clutter, their UI is refreshingly to the point.

13. Awesome list, especially since you pulled in the stats from each to give it a relevance, rather than just giving a list of the biggest design websites regardless of what traffic they actually generate for you.

Thanks!

14. [...] Websites to Submit Your Design Articles That Produce Heavy Traffic Since starting The Design Cubicle, I have submitted many of my quality blog posts to various websites that accept community submissions. In the past year, approximately 900,000 visitors have come via referring sites (statistics provided by Google Analytics on 12/16/09). [...]

15. Thanks! I love twitter but I don’t really care to much for facebook.I don’t think facebook is a good place to market your business although they have so many users. That’s just my opinion

16. Justin says:

Although I hate seeing the stereotypical design gallery sites in great lists like this, you can’t leave out Design Snack (http://designsnack.com). A lot of the larger design galleries have gone dark (still accepting submissions and posting, but not much community activity going on). Design Snack is redesigned almost every year and new features are constantly being added. The latest version has a tighter knit community with your own portfolio, friend requests, saves, etc.

Great place to not only get traffic, but feedback as well!

17. This is a good list. I just subscribed to Freelance Folder yesterday. They’re awesome!

18. RA says:

Great list you have here. I’ll have to give these sites a shot. Hopefully, I can increase some traffic to my blogs.

19. wparena says:

This is really nice, you have share your secret, hope my blog traffic will increase

20. Thanks for the list. DesignFloat and DesignBump and Stumble is best for design community

21. Another useful site that you probably missed is Abduzeedo. Has great conversion rate from user submitted articles. Otherwise the list consists of all the sites I use personally to submit articles.

22. Another fantastic list sir. I LOVE Smashing Magazine. One of the first blogs I subscribed to. Great stuff.

23. [...] Websites That Will Increase your Design Blogs Traffic Substantially – thedesigncubicle [...]

24. Designzzz says:

Seems noupe removed its news page or maybe wrong link u posted please check :)

25. Great list Brian, you articles are always helpful. I used most or not all that you listed and must say they are very helpful for design blogs.

26. dresses says:

27. hey Brian, thanks for mentioning TheWebBlend!

28. Julie S. says:

That’s very generous of you you to share that, Brian. No wonder why everyone keeps coming back to read your great articles. Many thanks

29. thomas says:

Hi Brian,

i redesigned Sharebrain http://sharebrain.info and launched it today. Feel free to register for free and share your links with the rest of the web design community. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. So i am looking forward for your “shared brain” :-)

greetings,
    thomas | admin sharebrain

30. Abhimanyu says:

nice..
    thatnks mate for sharing this article…!
    good one..

31. Alex says:

Great guide Brian! This is just what I was after :)