Typography resource for all things typographic

Typography blogs

ILoveTypography
My favorite resources for all things typographical. Get for finding more type resources, fonts and beautiful examples of typography

Swiss Legacy
Another great full-out resources for all things type — Will find information such as videos, book reviews, and type contests, to name a few.

Le Typographe
Definitely not written in English, but I use it more as a “picture book” for reading :) I’m sure if I could read it, that it would be extremely informative as well.

Slanted
Another non-English type website — serves as an online blog and magazine

Typographica
A journal of typography featuring news, observations and discussion on type and design.

Design & Typo
Blog by Peter Gabor focusing on all things typographic. English translation available too.

The FontFeed
A daily dispatch of fonts, tips and techniques and inspiration

TypeNeu
Focuses on past, present and the future of typographic culture.

Ralf Herrmann’s Typography Weblog
Great blog about all things type-related

Font resources

Da Font

well organized by category, supports custom previewing and has over 8,000 fonts to choose from.

Fawnt
a resource for high quality free fonts

40+ excellent free fonts for professional design by Smashing Magazine

exljbris
a free quality font foundry; limited fonts by higher quality than most

Urban Fonts
another large, well organized free font collection with over 8,000 freeware fonts

FontStruct
is not only a place to download fonts, but you can also build and share your own.

50 incredible fonts for professional web & print design over at Noupe

» Simply the Best Fonts
» 1001 Free Fonts
» Creamundo
» Misprinted Type
» FontCubes
» Designer in Action

Quality (paid) fonts

Typography.com
the resources of all paid resourcesÂ

FontShop
a great, high quality font seller. They also are a type workshop.

Veer
beautiful rights-managed, royalty-free fontsÂ

» Linotype
» ITC Fonts
» MyFonts

Inspirational Galleries

» PicFor.me Gallery
» 60 Brilliant Typefaces of Corporate Design
» Type is Sexy: Part 1 » Part 2 » Part 3
» 27 beautiful typography-based web designs
» We All Love Typography gallery
» Flickr group: Typography
» Flickr group: Typography Friday

Type/Layout-related Books

Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students by Ellen Lupton
Not a book on fonts, rather the placement of type on a blank sheet of paper. Focuses on what font to use, how big, and the alignment, spacing and order of letters, words and paragraphs.

Typography 28 by Emily Oberman
Typography annual devoted to typography and present the “finest work in the field for the year 2007″.

Designing with Type: The Essential Guide to Typography by James Craig
Much like Ellen Lupton’s book, DWT includes the development of written language and ends with a glossary of terms.

Getting It Right With Type: The Dos and Don’ts of Typography by Victoria Squire
Includes tips, a glossary explaining typographic terms and keyboard shortcuts

The Layout Look Book by Max Weber
A book about enhancing layout with excellent examples

Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop by Timothy Samara
One of my favorite books discussing the importance of layout and how essential it is to communication.

Miscellaneous resources

» Typography tips and advice for graphic design students
» Typography Crash Course Roundup
» Five simple steps to better typographyÂ
» Top 10 typefaces used by book design winners
» 20 typefaces to start a designer’s career
» What the Font — helps you identify fonts
» 30 fonts all designers must know & should own

What are your thoughts?

Feel free to comment on your favorite article or book? Share your thoughts on the above resources or where you go for typography tips and inspiration.

1. David Airey says:

Excellent resources, Brian, and I’m not saying that just because you link to my humble entry (but thanks very much).

Wow, that was quick was a quick comment David :) – you must have seen it immediately. Thanks for the kind words and you’re link was definitely worthy. That’s why it was in my bookmarks

3. Wow. Excellent and comprehensive collection of typographic resources, Brian. Thanks for compiling and sharing!

Atherton -
    Anytime. Glad you found it useful

5. Max says:

Im a big lover of typography so this post will defiantly be useful. Thanks Brian

6. Jim Kidwell says:

How about a little font management after you get all of those fonts on your computer?

Jim
    Extensis

Max -
    I am a HUGE type fan myself – there is nothing more beautiful than words on a blank substrate. LOL glad you enjoyed it!

Jim -
    Suitcase is great little font management app. Thanks for sharing!

8. Robert says:

Although I used Suitcase for years, I’d wholeheartedly recommend Linotype FontExplorer X over it any day. Plus, it’s FREE!

9. very nice list indeed

10. Another awesome post Mr B, certainly will be added to my font bookmarks etc, just need a day to go through them all now.

But thanks for putting them all together for us. Appreciated.

Best
    Graham

Robert -
    I am currently using FontExplorer as well, and I agree, for the price it is top notch.

Graham -
    Appreciate it – you would either be really impressed or think I was extremely lame if you saw how well me bookmarks are organized within my browser. LOL

Niki -
    Great link! I know you would be commenting on this post, your type skills always amaze me. Thanks

13. chad engle says:

Wicked culmination of typography resources. I really think you have come a long way behoff!!! nice man keep it up.

14. Thanks you very much. Great list for me !

15. [...] Typography resource for all things typographic | The Design Cubicle Giant Ultimate Collection of Typography Resources, for those typography lovers out there! Good list! [...]

Chad -
    Thanks man! That means a lot to me, since I’ve been working really hard on putting together interesting and valuable content. Hopefully I’ll keep in the same direction.

Danh -
    You’re very welcome. As long as your reading, I’ll be providing. :)

17. [...] Here are a few resources I have bookmarked along the way that relate to inspirational galleries, fonts, tips and other type resources. View source [...]

18. [...] other things, collects exceptional examples of work in our industry. Check out the logos, typography blogs, and [...]

19. Kermy says:

I’ve always liked this site: http://www.typophile.com/

Kermy,
    Thanks for the insight… added to my collection!

21. [...] » 20 Typefaces to Start A Designer’s Career » 22 Most Used Free Fonts by Professional Designers » Typographic Resources For All Things Typographic [...]

22. @farrellcom says:

You might also consider http://www.typophile.com/. Great community. Thanks for the roundup!

23. chapolito says:

nice list – I’m a type lover too, great too see this resource.

I might add:

Typechart http://typechart.com/

and

Font Matrix by Rick Rutterhttp://media.24ways.org/2007/17/fontmatrix.html

24. [...] Typography resource for all things typographic | The Design Cubicle – [...]

25. [...] Typography resource for all things typographic (tags: inspiration typography) [...]

26. Font Matrix by Rick Rutterhttp://media.24ways.org/2007/17/fontmatrix.html