15 Graphic Design Podcasts you should check out

I have to admit, I never got much into podcasting. I have no reasoning, but ever since the new iPhone update gives you the ability to download podcast directly on your phone, I’ve all of a sudden become interested. Never too late to expand your knowledge for design and social learning. Below is a list of 15 design-related podcasts categorized by freelancing, graphic design, web design, tutorials and more that you should check out.

Freelancing and business podcasts

• Freelance Radio is brought to you from the experts over at FreelanceSwitch.com. Currently, there are 22 episodes available, with what appears to be a new one added every month or so, providing great advice, tips and resources for your freelance business.
  • Freelance Advisor is a great listen if you thinking about becoming a freelancer and how to get started and stay atop the competition.
  • Tweak! – The Podcast for the Creative Entrepreneur features 9 episodes focusing on ‘Quitting your day job’ to ‘finding your price point’. The podcasts are from last year, but still worth the listen.
  • For Graphic Designers Only provides tips, tools and other valuable advice for your freelance or design business.

Graphic Design podcasts

• Design Guy is an ongoing 2 year podcast exploring “timeless design principles and explains the simply.” 34 episodes and counting to unleash your creativity and understanding for design.
  • Logo Design offers logo design tips and discussion.
  • Rookie Designer is perfect for the beginner designer or “non-accomplished designer”. Address issues of finding clients, using fonts and the importance of one-page portfolios.

Web Design podcasts

• Boagworld.com web design podcast is great for anyone designing, developing or running a website.Close to 150 episodes that cover topics that will improve your web skills.
  • You Suck at Web Design offers a humorous approach to learning web design. A must watch, even if it’s just for a good laugh with your web design buddies. Also check out You Suck at Photoshop for an informatively good laugh.
  • Web Design TV is brought to you by .Net Magazine, a popular magazine for web designers that covers all angles of web development and software.

Tutorial podcasts

• The InDesigner is a 50+ episode podcast that helps you learn and understand Adobe InDesign.
  • Layers TV: For Everything Adobe is a how-to podcast offering free tips and tutorials for the entire Adobe Creative Suite! – highly recommended and is available in High Definition as well.
  • Photoshop User TV is brought to you by The National Association of Photoshop Professionals’ “Photoshop Guys” showcasing the latest tutorials, insider tricks and awesome shortcuts. Every Monday, a new 30-minute episode is released with the latest and greatest Photoshop resources.
  • PixelPerfect is an interesting watch as artist Bert Monroy treats graphic design as an art form. Pretty amazing stuff to watch.
  • Adobe Creative Suite Video Podcast is an ongoing video podcast covering all things CS3 and now CS4. Go check it out!
  • Lynda.com Video Training is nothing short of perfect. While the podcast offers select free videos, the lynda.com site offers extensive learning of any program you could ever thing of and want to learn with a paid membership. I have been a Lynda.com member for the past year and totally impressed – they are the best in my opinion.

Miscellaneous podcasts

• Design Tools Weekly discusses graphic design software, tips and other industry news related to graphic design.

1. expiata says:

You are the bomb. I love your site. Thanks for sharing this great information.

2. Great list!
    Since I’ve just recently got myself the new iPod, I’ve become an addict to finding gems in the podcast library. Apparently I’ve missed a few.

3. Lasha says:

Great list! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks. :)

4. Great list. I would suggest that your readers add Inside Digital Design to their podcast listening – http:/insidedigitaldesign.com/

expiata -
    Thanks for your compliment on both me and my site LOL… Seriously though it does mean a lot! Keep reading and I’ll keep sharing

Markus -
    I can definitely relate. Never really watched many podcasts, but since the new iPhone update allows you to download podcasts directly to your iPhone I figured why not. Glad I could point you in the direction of new ones.

Lasha -
    Glad I could be of some assistance to you :)

Jeff -
    Great suggestion Jeff! Thanks for adding to the list

6. Hey Brian,
    What a great resource – thanks for compiling and sharing – really quite helpful and another way to interact within our community. Text, photos, illustrations, DMs & now voice as a connect point – sweet!

Truly valuable! :)

7. Hi Brian!

Great post (among many others :) !! I can’t wait to actually dive and and start listening to these great resources.

8. Jay Nelson says:

Thanks for including Design Tools Weekly in your list, Brian.

(And I think your new logo is terrific.)

9. [...] sudden become interested. Never too late to expand your knowledge for design and social learning…read more | digg story Catagory : [...]

10. [...] 15 design-related podcasts categorized by freelancing, graphic design, web design, tutorials and more that you should check out. View source [...]

11. Picard102 says:

Whats with the iTunes link? What about those of us not beholden to Apple for our media?

12. Jay Nelson says:

Can’t speak for the others, but here’s Design Tools Weekly:

13. That is a great list, I had never thought about podcasting before for design but I think it could work really well, going to have a look when I get home and access my itunes account.

14. [...] 15 Graphic Design Podcasts You Should Check Out via Design [...]

15. Tom Kenny says:

I’m a big fan of Boagworld and listen to Freelance Radio now and again.

I used to listen to Rookie Designer when it was up and running, still a great resource as his past episodes are great. Also check out AppClinic, a video podcast run by the same guy so again there is plenty of old content to keep you busy.

Another video podcast, Layers TV is a favourite of mine. They cover the whole Adobe suite and certainly know what they’re doing.

I love podcasts! :D

16. Stephanie says:

Thank you so much for this post! I’ve had a difficult time finding good design podcasts, for some reason–and these are great.

17. [...] Tools for WordPress Bloggers10:06 15 Key Elements All Top Web Sites Should Have | FreelanceFolder10:06 15 Graphic Design Podcasts you should check out | The Design Cubicle10:05 15 Graphic Design Podcasts you should check out | The Design Cubicle10:05 15 helpful WordPress [...]

18. Levi Freeman says:

all of these links are links to itunes not podcast links, please provide actual podcast links. How will people subscribe to these podcasts say for example in Zune player? Theres a standard, a web standard, stick to it. Proprietery is something designers are generally against. Openess and choice is what we stand for.

19. Levi Freeman says:

nevertheless, great list i will attempt to find the actual podcasts myself.

20. Valrie says:

Hi Brian,

How do I create a form that display overflow content from a textbox.

My problem is I have a form that the content can be up to two pages, I need users to be able to see this.

Can you advise

21. jonathan says:

Great resource and great site Brian, your inspirational!

22. luui says:

Thanx Brian, I realy appreciatte you´ve been sharing all this info, I guess this is what´s all is about ! good luck ! Greetings from Mexico City !

23. Ben S. says:

This list shows people how to make stuff that looks like graphic design, but it isn’t graphic design.

Graphic Design is about thinking, planning (design), not memorizing software. There are issues of design of which you’re only scratching the surface. Where are the links dealing with even the most basic issues of design authorship? Where are the podcasts on even the most basic issues of connotation? Where are the podcasts of any depth about design history?

This is a list for “desktop publishing” and freelance contracts, not graphic design.

24. Brianna says:

You helped me to pass my Emerging Web Trends Class! All you information on here is amazing and expanding my knowledge like crazy.

Thanks Again!

25. Thanks for creating this website! I am going to use one of these podcasts for my Emerging Web Trends class next week! The particular one is “You Suck at Web Design.” I hope I can get a kick out of my classmates when I talk about it next week!